American Sports Medicine Institute ASMI
American Sports Medicine Institute is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit sports medicine research and education foundation located at St. Vincent's Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. ASMI was founded in 1987 by renowned orthopaedic surgeon Dr. James R. Andrews.
The mission of ASMI is to improve the understanding, prevention and treatment of sports-related injuries through research and education.
The Institute features a state-of-the-art biomechanics laboratory, a sports medicine library, and a skills lab for arthroscopic training and cadaveric research. ASMI is the nation's largest accredited educator of sports medicine physicians with graduates located in forty-four states, Puerto Rico, and ten foreign countries.
The purposes of the American Sports Medicine Institute are to:
- Provide advanced training in sports medicine and orthopaedics by means of fellowships for physicians and other medical specialists who treat patients with sports and recreation-related injuries and musculoskeletal problems.
- Conduct aggressive biomechanical and clinical research in sports medicine/orthopaedics and expand the base of knowledge to treat and prevent musculoskeletal injuries and re-injuries.
- Work with large numbers of athletic teams from youth leagues through professional levels.
- Capture significant, useful information from injured patients who come to the hospital, clinic and rehabilitation facilities for diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation.
- Provide medical and paramedical coverage for many teams in contact sports throughout their seasons.