Irish Orthopaedic Association IOA
The Irish Orthopaedic Association developed from the Irish Orthopaedic Club which had it's inaugural meeting in Dr Steevens Hospital, Dublin, on 9th December 1950.
Orthopaedic surgery had not developed as a specialty at this time and the founding group were general surgeons with a particular interest in orthopaedics.
Membership was initially limited to 15 members and meetings alternated between hospitals in Dublin and Belfast.
The last meeting of the Irish Orthopaedic Club was held in Dublin on 14 November 1997.
The Irish Orthopaedic Association was founded the following year and had it's inaugural meeting in Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast on 12th November, 1988.
The Association has expanded considerably over the past 20 years and continues to provide an All Ireland forum for clinical and scientific debate.